The Global Party: Jet Setting Around the World for Charity

Forget about austerity, recession or budget cuts… For those who can afford to pay £1,200+ for an entrance ticket, next September will -supposedly- see the biggest party ever, organized simultaneously within 24 hours in 80 of the most luxurious venues around the world, including the Orient Express, super yachts and private members clubs. Does it sound a bit ostentatious in those difficult economic times? Yes, but at least this display of hedonistic fun, if not in perfect taste, is at least for a good cause: raising sixty million pounds for charities.
(Photo: Andrew Pasons/ParsonsMedia)

“Inspired by Phileas Fogg” (says the invite), the Global Party is the brainchild of entrepreneur David Johnstone and hedge fund tycoon and philanthropist Lord Stanley Fink, also former Tory treasurer philanthropist and chairman of ARK, the charity which broke a record in 2006 by raising £28m in one single evening. Both men presented their project to the London press at a lavish pre-launch party held at jet set favourite the Marbella Club and private villa La Zagaleta in Marbella on March 17th.

The Global Party will take place on Thursday 15th and Friday 16th September 2011 in 71 different cities, with 80,000 people partying within 24 hours in 80 exclusive venues like members-only nightclubs (such as Boujis and Bungalow 8 in London), exclusive restaurants, luxury hotels or private villas. It aims to raise around £60m for 12 selected charities, through the sale of tickets but also through various auctions that will be organised by the venues on the night.

Each party will be hosted by the owner of the place, who will invite 90% of the attendees, chosen amongst personal friends or regulars, while the remaining 10% tickets will be will purchased by companies and individuals. The idea behind is to attract as many celebs and opinion leaders as possible, through the well connected hosts of each party, giving a chance to the 5,000 people who will have bought their ticket to rub shoulders with celebs- with guests like Kate Moss or Uma Thurman attending, according to the organisers. The first 750 people to buy tickets will also be invited to the launch party, which will be held on September 8 at the Natural History Museum.

Below: The Zagaleta and the Marbella Club in Marbella, and Blaack in Istanbul are amongst the organising venues